Thursday 29 May 2014

Artist Profile: Leah Lux Tame

Name:           Leah Lux Tame
Website:      leahlux.com
Blog:              trowelanddibbler.weebly.com
Facebook:   Leah Lux 
Instagram: luxleah 
Etsy:              Taming Luxuries







Tell me about your work e.g.  What themes do you pursue?  
For the past several years I have been exploring surfaces. These have included upholstery, mosaic, painted surfaces and brickwork.  Last year I was working with the theme of antiques and heirlooms and the idea that whilst these objects and items change hands and families may change their surfaces, their energy or essence remains.

What are you currently working on?          
I am continuing to look at surfaces but I am now examining the energies in historic architecture and interiors.

Grandpas Chair, 2013 etching

How do you work? What processes do you follow?     
I tend to do lots of thinking, particularly in bed and in the shower. Usually, I come up with the end product and then I work out the process I will need to take to get there.

How has your practice changed over time?         
A while back I was painting my dreams.  Now I’m painting what I see and feel in a particular place.

Tortuga, 2014, watercolour
What real-life situations, places, food, drink and music inspire you?    
Usually it’s a visual stimulus.  Something I see that I want to replicate, for example a collection of colours.  I am currently inspired by Art Nouveau and more specifically Spanish Modernisme and Antoni Gaudi.

Who are some artists you follow/admire/enjoy?          
Larissa MacFarlane, Margaret Olley. Brett Whiteley, Margaret Preston, Chris Canning and David Hockney.

Gaudi Blue and Yellow, 2013, linocut and watercolour

What do you like about your work?  What do you dislike about your work?    
What I like and dislike about my work is the same thing.  I am very diverse in my arts practice in that I do printmaking, painting, drawing, mixed media, photography and collage.  While this diversity means each artwork I create is unique, the drawback is that I have not developed an obvious style.

How did you decide to become an artist?
You don’t decide.  I've been drawing and painting forever!

Ginger Jar, 2013, pastel

What role does the artist have in society?            
I think artists and art play a necessary part in providing us with relief from hardship or stress.  A breath of fresh air that we otherwise may not get.

What’s the best piece of advice you could give to young creative who are starting out?
Everyone has an opinion and they are allowed to have an opinion.  But it is not the truth.

What can we expect from you in the future?      
In the future I am planning to establish a website for pet portraiture – watercolour and pencil works.  I need more examples …so for a portrait at a discounted rate, email me with a photo of your favourite pet!

Bacci 2013, watercolour

No comments:

Post a Comment