Friday 10 October 2014

Artist Profile: Rafael de la Paz

MREAM Artist Profile
Rafael de la Paz














Name:           Rafael de la Paz 
Facebook:   rafael.delapaz.94
Media:          Painting, Drawing, Poetry, Sculpture

  


False prophets

Do you really want to change the world?
Or just be popular.
Do you hear the cry, see the tears?
Or to have more friends, saying
your name, using their pain.

Do you understand?
or just be a bell,
repeating what others had said.

You who never had to run
or hide in the night
to keep a life.
To smile when a gun is pointing to your heart.

Do you really want to change the world
or just be popular.

If you want a change
sacrifice your life
go where they  need your voice.

Don't tell me that you understand
you see my friend, life is a carousel.



Tell me about your work e.g.  What themes do you pursue? 
My art is usually focussed on people/figures.  Typically, I paint female figures.  I am interested in different types of bodies and exploring the idea of beauty.  I mainly work in acrylic and oil paints although I have been experimenting with combining my painting with charcoal drawing.


What are you currently working on?        
Currently I am looking at colour.  For example, what are the different colours and tones I can see on the body– for example when you look closely the skin on someone’s face can show green or bright reds or pinks.  I want to paint these colours.  



How do you work? What processes do you follow?      
With my artworks I sometimes work from my head but often my paintings evolve from my sketches.  I think drawing is the foundation to painting.  It builds the foundations.  Teaching yourself is so easy with digital technology and the internet.  If I see something I might want to paint I take a photo of it on my phone and often use this as a reference.  I also use websites and online resources to help improve my drawing skills.

How has your practice changed over time?         
In the past I have worked in sculpture but no so much anymore because I don’t have the tools and materials.  I am now mostly focused on my painting.  Previously my style was quite representational or realistic and I focused on figure in landscape scenes.  I am now going through a “challenging” phase where I am trying out new techniques and experimenting with more saturated colour.  I am trying to discover a new, more colourful style.

What real-life situations, places, food, drink and music inspire you?    I don’t have any specific inspirations, I just feel like painting most days! I teach a weekly class at U3A in Footscray (University of the 3rd Age) so sometimes the exercises we do feed into my own practice - for example I have recently painted several still life compositions with fruit. I like my figure paintings but I am really trying to break away from my previous painting style and develop something stronger and more colourful. Never give up!  I started writing poetry at 63 and this proves it is never too late to start.  I strongly believe that life will always offer something to you.

Who are some artists you follow/admire/enjoy?          
Because I am interested in light and colour I enjoy the work of Impressionists and Post-Impressionists like Monet, Degas, Cezanne, Renoir, Pissarro, Gauguin and Van Gogh as well as Picasso.

What do you like about your work?  What do you dislike about your work?    I like my figure paintings but I am really trying to break away from my previous painting style and develop something stronger and more colourful.


How did you decide to become an artist?           
I grew up in Cuba and I have been drawing since I was a child. My father liked drawing and I think he taught me at home.  I didn't particularly like school and I remember doodling during class. After I came out to Australia I lived in Torquay before moving to Altona Meadows.  I remember buying a canvas and some paints and bringing them home to try making a painting one day.  But it just wouldn't work and I became frustrated and threw the canvas out!  About one month later I decided to give it another go.  I visited a local community centre where, for a gold coin donation, a lady would give students advice on how they could improve their artworks.  She saw potential in my work and encouraged me to keep painting.  Many years later when I was living in Anglesea I joined an art group where another woman encouraged me to apply for a Diploma of Visual Arts at Gordon TAFE in Geelong. I have been painting ever since!


What role does the artist have in society?         
I think artists are valuable to society because they can help us refocus on what is important to us and remind us who we are as human beings. I believe we are all free to express ourselves as we wish but I would never criticise other artists or manipulate others through my art.  I do what I can to help the community by teaching and being independent. As an artist I am not a political person; rather I’m more of a humanitarian.  

What’s the best piece of advice you could give to young creative who are starting out?      

Never give up!  I started writing poetry at 63 and this proves it is never too late to start.  I strongly believe that life will always offer something to you.

Flying birds

Today the birds are flying away
don't cry my girl
they will back another day.

They will back to bring
peace, to bring  love
to this lost world.

The birds with their singing,
flying in the sky would take you
some where were you could fly,
dream that one day you don't
have to cry.

Pajaros volando

Hoy los pájaros vuelan lejos
No llores mi niña
ellos volveran  otro día.

Volveran  para llevarte
a un lugar de paz, de amor,
fuera de este mundo perdido.

Las aves con su cantar,
te llevaran a un lugar
donde podras volar
y soñar que un día no
Tendras  por que llorar

No comments:

Post a Comment